Keep the focus on you and stay away from accusing them. For example, say, “I’ve noticed you’ve started losing weight and I am concerned about you. The thought of you not eating well or struggling to take care of yourself makes me sad.”
How do I tell my parents to lose weight?
Talking With Your Parents About Your Weight Loss Wishes
- Write down on a piece of paper all the reasons you want to lose weight. …
- Pick a good time to talk to your parents. …
- If you are nervous, keep that list handy. …
- Tell your parents specific ways they can support your weight loss.
How do you talk to your parents about your weight?
- Do not use shame.
- Do not force the issue.
- Do not frame the discussion around weight and food.
- Do not offer “helpful” weight loss hints.
- Do not monitor their food or exercise.
- Do not judge.
- Do remember that your loved one may already feel ashamed.
- Do speak about health and feelings.
How can I convince my parents to let me diet?
Just subtly change a few of your eating habits such as:
- Cut out junk food and sugar. …
- Cut down on snacking between meals & late at night. …
- Either put slightly less food on your plate during family meals or leave a little bit on your plate at the end of the meal.
- Skip desserts.
Why does my mom always talk about my weight?
The truth is that IF your mum is commenting on your weight or criticising your body and food choices – it says a lot more about her relationship with food than it does about your size. She may be the one with disordered eating or a troublesome relationship with food.
How do I tell my mom she needs to lose weight?
First, don’t tell your mom she needs to lose weight.
If you truly want to help her, then you need to be an active participant.
- Ask her to go for a walk around the block, just to keep you company.
- Ask her to go to the park with you.
- Tell her you need a ‘work-out’ buddy and will she join the gym with you?
How can I tell my daughter she needs to lose weight?
How to Talk to Your Daughter About Her Weight
- Set a good example. Before jumping into big talks on how to talk to your daughter about her weight, take steps on your own to set a good example. …
- Focus on her overall health. …
- Talk in a comfortable, private setting. …
- Make an appointment with your OB-GYN.
Why does my mom say hurtful things to me?
Your mom may be saying hurtful things as because she thinks you are dependent on her. You will not respond to her hurtful sayings. But, you need to show her that you are independent and you do not need her support if she keep on saying bad things to you all the time.
Why does my mom criticize me so much?
Controlling parents: They criticize you because they want to have control over your choices. For example, they might criticize your date or your job to make you feel bad about your choices, so as to influence you to choose something else they want.
How do you tell a loved one they are overweight?
Articulate that your concerns are because you care. “Send the message that you are coming from a place of love rather than criticism,” says Goodpaster. “For example, ‘I will always love you regardless of your body size, but because I love you so much, I want to make sure we live a long, healthy life together. ‘”
Should I tell my date im fat?
Don’t Talk About Your Weight
If your date doesn’t care about your weight, they probably also don’t care about your diet. So don’t bore your date with the details of your eating plan unless it comes up in normal conversation. … Words like “fat” shouldn’t come up on a date—from their mouth or yours.
How do I tell my worried about weight loss?
How to talk to a loved one about their weight – constructively
- Wait for them to make the first move. …
- Ask questions – forget the judgement. …
- Be the change you want to see. …
- Know that you cannot shame someone into losing weight. …
- Focus on health, not weight. …
- Examine your own weight issues.